The School ADvance Administrator Evaluation System is an adaptable system of rubrics, descriptors, processes and protocols to guide districts in the key work of evaluating and developing the performance of all school administrators—including the superintendent.
Developed through a partnership between Western Michigan University, MASA, and Michigan ASCD, School ADvance provides performance assessment and development tools for principals, assistant principals, central office administrators, and superintendents who serve within local district and intermediate or regional service districts. School ADvance includes leadership frameworks and rubrics for both instructional and non-instructional leadership roles at the building level. Each of the leadership frameworks are organized into Domains of practice with research-supported Factors and Characteristics which further delineate and articulate the work of school leaders.
The School ADvance System includes three essential components plus a large number of supporting elements:
- School ADvance Administrator Evaluation Tools to help districts not only comply with State requirements to annually evaluate principals, district administrators and superintendents, but also use the results to stimulate learning, growth, and adaptation.
- School ADvance Training and Support to help districts implement the School ADvance Administrator Evaluation System and provide ongoing assistance through Implementation support provided by MASA.
School ADvance Evaluation Tools include:
Frameworks for Administrator Evaluation Domains, Factors, and Characteristics associated with improving student achievement, aligned to national and state standards, and aligned with Educator Evaluation statutory requirements (for Michigan, and also many other states, in general).
- Developmental rubrics, to guide the assessment of school and district-level administrator performance
- Performance profiling tools and growth plans to help school leaders:
- Conduct authentic self-assessment
- Maintain a current personal performance profile
- Identify growth edges and set priorities for personal growth
- Create personal growth plans
- Establish evidence to support performance and growth ratings
- Track progress in leading the work of student growth
- Scoring and interpretation tools to help a district:
- Assess overall developmental status of its administrators
- Assess administrator performance status on district identified critical performance areas (performance “power standards”)
- Assess administrator growth and development over time
In addition, the School ADvance System offers:
- Initial training workshops for principals, district administrators, superintendents and boards of education members
- Refresher workshops for school leadership teams
- Ongoing Support through MASA
For more information about School ADvance: